IDS Rule 3.2 provides guidance on conducting an indigence determination and on appointing the Office of the Appellate Defender.
Clerks and Judges who have questions about conducting an indigence determination, appointing the Office of the Appellate Defender, ordering transcripts, completing the Appellate Entries, or any other aspects of the appellate process should contact the Office of the Appellate Defender at (919) 354-7210.
In completing the Appellate Entries, Clerks should:
- List ALL court dates. This includes all pre-trial hearings. Indicate the first and last day of multi-day hearings and trials.
- List ALL known co-defendants, even if they have entered a plea or not been tried yet.
- Mark Box 4 which indicates the judge found the defendant to be indigent.
- Complete the transcript order on the back of the Appellate Entries.
- Serve all Court Reporters with the completed Appellate Entries.
- Email, fax, or mail the Appellate Entries and judgments to the Office of the Appellate Defender.
- Contact the Office of the Appellate Defender to confirm we received the case.
Download: Appellate Entries Form for non-capital criminal cases (including guilty pleas and probation revocation hearings).
Download: Appellate Entries for juvenile delinquency cases.
Download: Appellate Entries for civil commitment cases.